Monday, January 26, 2009

38 Pairs

Milestones. Wow. I have knit almost 38 pairs of socks. I say this because of the thirty eight pairs Barb did two of the socks. One of the socks for charity and one of the socks for Uncle Ralph. Still all told that is nothing to sneeze about. Oh wait I did complete 38 pairs my first pair is not accounted for so it is truly 38. Now there are a few singles that will remain mateless that cannot be in that talley. They may remain for single solitary socks, we aren't sure. Nevermind.

I have in my possession, of the 38 socks, 5 pair. Rose my cousin has three pair, Allan has four pair, but only two of those were actually made for him. He has very small feet so he gets some of my socks that have shrunk a bit or felted. It works for him.

Well almost all socks begin as socks for me, and then somewhere they take a detour. I begin the sock and decide on yarn and pattern and such and begin to knit, then socks seem to find feet. The sock is a bit too small for me or the sock has a mission, something happens in life that requires that, the person in question be gifted with a pair of socks. Mary Jo got socks because she went through a rough summer. I was happy to be able to give her socks. Socks are like prayers in sense, once I know the "feet" in question I am able to knit and think of those socks on that person. So each stitch becomes a prayer in a way. I think of them wearing the socks and the fact that they are warmed by my work. My friends at work who are Jewish have a saying about new things, USE IT IN GOOD HEALTH. So my socks come with the mantra of WEAR THEM IN GOOD HEALTH.

Some socks know from day one where they are going. This is good too. I will admit that I kind of like it the other when the socks detour to a person. Like the socks that so far are my favorite of favorites. I liked them so much that I donated them to our work charity. However, they ended up being purchased (far too cheaply) by my Aunt Carm. I say far to cheaply because the price she paid didn't even cover the cost of the yarn. However because it was her it was different. I am still doing a bit of guilt that she paid anything for them , but since the proceeds went to charity I cannot refund the cost. It would be somehow wrong. The upside of this is, she loves the socks. She wears them a lot and it makes me want to make her a second pair just for so she can rotate the socks.

My cousin Barb ended up with a pair that I had knitted for me. Rose said I wouldn't end up keeping them and she was of course correct. We shall see if Barb keeps this pair. She has given back two so far. One she felted , one I just think wasn't her. They have found new homes.

No comments: